Unless you’re in the industry, handling and sealing products may seem pretty simple. But once you get in the trenches, you realize how easy it is to make a misstep and produce packages with wrinkles, weak seals, or gaps. Plus, this process is time-intensive and made slower by ineffective or outdated machines. Once you factor in downtime, rework, and unit labor costs, you’re looking at too many expenses and not enough throughput.
Thankfully, there’s a better way to fully enclose, protect, and even bundle your products in protective film. With automatic shrink wrapping and bundling, you can cut down on labor costs, prevent costly mistakes, and get products out the door faster with high-quality packaging.
How Automatic Shrink Wrapping and Building Can Help
During automatic shrink wrapping, products are loaded into the machine in a single file or in lanes. The conveyor manages the product flow and indexes the product into the wrapper or bundler. This pace allows you to increase manual input or loading from the upstream as it requires a steady rhythm to load the products into the machine, improving your overall throughput.
Automatic shrink wrappers provide some unique benefits not found through manual processes including:
- More attractive and consistent packaging as well as greater seal strength, reducing wrinkles, “crow’s feet,” and “fish skin”
- Reduced labor costs as the machine takes in product faster and rework is avoided
- Lower material costs due to the ability to downgauge film and reduce the amount of film scrap
As with the other packaging automation solutions we offer, there are plenty of custom options for automatic shrink wrappers and bundlers such as:
- Speed and complexity. We can work with you to find the right speed and complexity for your target throughput.
- Variety of infeed systems (such as flighted or lugged infeeds, belted conveyors, and timing screws) so we can find the right method to load and index product into the machine for you and create the ideal product spacing.
- Intermittent or continuous cross-sealing to achieve the desired and necessary speed.
- Longitudinal seals can be created with side-sealing units, lap seals (static or thermal) or seal bars.
- Customizable Human Machine Interfaces (HMI) and Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) to integrate with other equipment in your plant. You can even connect these machines to your network for off-site programming and troubleshooting.
As for costs, our team at New Tech will perform a packaging evaluation to help you determine approximately when you’ll achieve payback for automation. Keep in mind that downtime, rework, and labor costs can quickly justify the cost of an automated machine!
Find the Ideal Shrink Wrapper or Builder for Your Company
There are so many options for shrink wrappers and builders on the market. Instead of trying to make the decision on your own and risking choosing the wrong system, let us make a site survey to review your products, process and application. After carefully auditing your facility and understanding your goals we’ll make recommendations to help your shrink wrapping or shrink bundling run Better, Faster and Cheaper.Reach out to us today to get the process started!